Saturday, January 10, 2009

If I only had half a million dollars...

Today was such a hard day... The truth is that I am in absolutely no position to adopt another animal right now (I have 2 dog-kids, 4 cat-kids and I take care of a pack of other cats belonging to a family member). But with this tidal wave of foreclosure, an unimaginable amount to animals are being turned in to the pound - there are thousands. And almost all of them will be put to death because there are just too many. Even under normal circumstances there are too many - in this situation the number has gotten out of control so the pounds are severely over crowded and animal rescues are filled to capacity. So I've decided that, even though my situation is FAR from perfect for housing another animal child, it is POSSIBLE for me to take someone else in and I feel responsible for doing so. If I can save at least ONE life, I will...The problem is that when I went down to the pound, I was completely OVERCOME with all of the dogs' fear and sadness and confusion. It was just too much for me to handle - I literally broke down in tears in the middle of the kennel. There were so many dogs there who have absolutely no idea why this is happening to them - but they think their families are coming back for them like they have before when they've been dropped off at the vet or when their people have gone on vacation. They have no idea that, not only will their families never return, but they will more than likely never get to run in the grass again or smell the flowers again or stick their head out of a car window to feel the wind on their faces. It was utterly heart shattering.

There were a couple of dogs there who especially touched me...A gigantic brown lab whose personality is so much like my lab-daughter Gracee's - all Gracee wants to do is snuggle her snout under your chin and make sure you've got enough kisses that day ("You sure you've had enough kisses now? I can give you more - are you sure? Here, lemme give you just a few more..." lol)....He is just like that...and he's huge but he has absolutely no idea how big he is....He's a ball-chasing, run-into-the-lake-and-come-out-and-climb-into-your-lap, cat-loving, kiss-giving love machine and his spirit is being broken every minute he stays in that loud, scary place.

Another one who touched me is a guy who looks like a black shepherd/akita mix...His ears have bite marks in them and his fur is dirty and his eyes look like they've seen the front line of a war...He wouldn't even raise his head when I came to his cage because no one ever looks at him for long...He's not cute and bouncy like a lot of the other doggies there...He's rather plain looking if you don't look close...But I could feel his spirit, so I went around to the other side of the cage and called him over...Finally he literally pulled himself off of the floor and came over to me and just pressed his body against the cage while I scratched his cheek...I need to get him out...God, if you're listening, I NEED to get this boy out...He is so soulful...

I wish so much that I could take them all out - give them all a big yard to play in and more kisses than they can shake a stick at...But I don't own a house...If only I could come up with the money to buy a house, I would adopt these kids and many more....

As things stand, I don't have the money to buy a house right now, but somehow I am going to rescue my shepherd/chow boy and my lab boy and I'm going to make sure that they have good lives...I don't know how, but I will...

IF YOU OR ANYONE YOU KNOW IS AN ANIMAL LOVER WHO HAS A PLACE FOR RENT, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP...

No comments:

Post a Comment