Wednesday, April 1, 2009

All the time in the world...

After sitting for the last few hours listening to music (much as I would at any other time in my life with little thought), I had an epiphany: My life is very strange. Don't get me wrong, I mean that in the best possible way. It's just that, sitting here, being lulled into submission by the bittersweet melodies of some of my favorite songs, I realized how very...odd...a journey I've taken through this place, this life...My beloved best friend Kat (who passed away from cancer in 2002) might say that I've played in the clover patches of life...My beloved grammy (who passed away from cancer a month after Kat) might say I took the circuitous route...listening to the truth in the beats of my own heart...But hopefully they'd both say I've lived my life well, full of experience with plenty of "sightseeing" along the way...

Follow up:

It's interesting, the road I decided to walk, considering the conventional paths of my siblings...all four of my sisters (one of whom is a gifted medium and another a gifted psychic) are in real estate and my brother is an engineer working for a huge electronics company. Throughout my entire life my family expected me to go to college, get a degree in law or medicine or...anything, really, lol and live in 9 to 5 obscurity...I'm sure the fast-paced, adventure-filled rollercoaster ride they've watched me navigate hasn't been easy to watch at times. But the truth is that it's shocking to me that, despite the fact that they've each shown interest in their abilities, not a single one of my incredibly gifted sisters has chosen to pursue a career outside the norm. My second-oldest sister (whose name I won't mention here to protect her privacy) is an amazing medium, for example...and the sister just above me has had prophetic dreams since we were little kids. I remember her waking up in the morning and telling me things that were going to happen in the world that week - and, almost without fail, they did. It wasn't an easy way to grow up, I imagine...For my part, I just got to talk to people whose bodies had died...It wasn't much different than talking to you or anyone else. But my sister had to see some very scary, horrific images in her dreams. Not all of them were bad, but I remember a few that were bad enough to really shake her.

I've been thinking recently though about perception and how it truly creates our lives. For example, I truly haven't had a clear concept on just how unusual my life has been until recently when I was talking with a couple of friends about some of my experiences. After explaining what I've always thought was a relatively tame experience in which a spirit manifested himself in full, clear "ghostly" form and walked out of one of the walls of my apartment, across my hallway and into another wall, I looked up to see that the jaws of both of my friends were practically sitting on their knees, lol. It's been hard not having my grammy to talk to about my experiences...When I was a kid I always loved to sit with gram, listening to her talk about when she was a little girl and first discovered that she was "haunted." She'd actually had a few scary experiences as a kid...Although they're easy to understand as an adult, they were frightening to a 9 year old. One such time was when she was babysitting her little brother. Her step mother had to run to the store, so she left my grandma at the little apartment with the baby. Gram said she'd always been afraid of that apartment because she'd heard noises, including footsteps and voices and she'd seen a man walking around occasionally. So this one day she was alone with the baby when the water in the kitchen kept turning on by itself. She was scared, but she kept going in and turning it off. She said it turned on probably 8 or 9 times. It would just be off and then as soon as she went into the living room it would turn on full blast. So finally she decided to ignore it and stayed in the room with the baby, already scared out of her wits. She heard the water running, but refused to go into the kitchen again, instead just sitting frozen on the couch. Then, a couple of minutes later, she looked up to see a man (she said he looked like he was 19 or 20) peeking around the corner, smiling at her. She said that was the last straw, lol - she grabbed the baby and ran outside to sit on the front porch for 30 minutes until her step mother finally came home, lol. She never told her step mother what happened because the woman wasn't very nice, but when they went inside the water was turned off and there was no sign of any disturbance. (Just as an interesting side note, having water turned on happened to gram in several places by several different spirits - it appears that was gram's "alert." Mine has always been televisions being turned on. Ever since I was a little girl, I've had multiple televisions turned on by spirits - I have a theory that every medium has their one particular "sign" that they've received multiple times throughout his or her lifetime. It would be interesting to test that theory!)

Okay, it's time to start my day...But I'm in the mood to share more about gram and Kat, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment